Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The 4th of July

So yesterday was MnEm's first 4th of July and it was pretty successful. Luckily, the weather cooperated. It was in the mid 80's and cloudy and breezy. It would have been pretty miserable for the MnEm if the sun was out. They slept in the stroller almost the whole time. Melissa used the Snugli backpack carrier for the first time. Matt was a huge fan. We took a tour of the old State Theatre in town, watched the parade, ate and watched the fireworks. They didn't get fussy until right before the fireworks started. It was time to eat. The loud noises and booms from the fireworks actually quieted Emma down. We met two couples and one of the guys was from Darlington and graduated from Northwestern in 1959. He didn't know Uncle David or George, but he threw out a couple of last names I knew. Things got a little testy when we started packing up the car and up to the time we went to bed. MnEm were crying and we were trying to get out of there as quickly as possible so Melissa could feed them. We got a little impatient with each other and it peaked when I banged the wall with my hand. Those are the times when we need to just pause for a second and calm down. The babies will be fine. They are just hungry. And it doesn't help our cause when we argue in front of them. They can hear the tone of our voice and it just makes them more upset. I think that has been the most upset we have been with each other since they were born, so I'm going to take that as a positive. I really have all the respect in the world for Melissa. I know it's not easy taking care of both of them at the same time. Every day, I want to buy her something to show her how much I appreciate what is doing and what she gone through to get us this far. It's not that we can't afford it, but I think my appreciation shows more when if offer to let her go somewhere by herself while I watch MnEm. I think I'm going to tell her tonight.
Posted: 1:49 PM, Thursday, July 5, 2007

No comments: